Imagine you were going to build a house (or have someone build it for you), but you had no idea what kind of house you wanted. You didn’t know how many rooms or bathrooms it should have, how many square feet it should be, where it should be located, or even how much it should cost. It would be impossible for anyone to build the house you wanted, with such lack of direction. In this scenario, at best, you’d have to settle for whatever got built.
It’s like that with our lives as well. If we don’t have any idea what we’d like our lives to look like, we’ll have to settle for how they just turn out. For example, do you know:
- What kind of health you want to be in
- What kind of marriage you want to have
- What kind of career you desire
- What interests and passions you’d like to pursue
- How you’d like to spend your retirement
- What kind of relationships you’d like to have with friends and family
- How you’d like to spend your free time
When we know what we want our life to look like, we’re in an excellent position to take steps to create the best life we desire. Otherwise, we’ll just settle for whatever happens to come along.
Do you have a clear picture of how you want your life to look? This doesn’t mean you have to have every detail figured out. I certainly don’t! However, we should know what we want our lives to look like so we can take steps to move in that direction.
Make sure you know where you’re going, so you don’t end up somewhere you really don’t want to be.