Here in the Pacific Northwest, we often get long stretches of gray, dreary, rainy days during the winter months. String enough of those days together and it can start to impact your attitude, unless you’ve planned ahead for how to keep that from happening.
I’m amazed how much our surroundings impact our attitude. My plan for making it through Pacific Northwest winters (and any other season for that matter) with my attitude positively intact has been to ensure I’m surrounded by things that bring me joy and lift my spirit. For me, that includes things like:
- Making sure the spaces I’m in have plenty of bright light. Preferably natural light.
- Listening to music or podcasts with upbeat or positive messages.
- Spending time connecting with God by reading the Bible and communicating with Him through prayer.
- Interacting with people who are, positive, encouraging, or full of joy.
- Collaborating with people on something that benefits others.
- Having art or pictures around that I find pleasing to view.
My own experience informs me that when my surroundings are positive, my attitude isn’t far behind.
What changes can you make to your surroundings today that would have an immediate and positive impact on your attitude?
Why not make that change right now?