Sometimes I get stuck. Occasionally, I’ll have a goal I’m working toward, but then I find myself getting stalled out and not making minimal to zero progress for a few days or even weeks. It’s frustrating! What I’ve discovered recently is that there is an actual force that keeps us from moving forward. That force is called resistance.
Resistance is anything that distracts us and takes our mind and effort away from moving toward our goals. Steven Pressfield field wrote a great book about resistance titled Do the Work. I read this book last week and it was eye-opening to see the role resistance plays in my own life. The biggest take-away from this book was to be aware of when resistance is blocking my efforts. When I’m aware of the presence of resistance, I can recognize it for what it is and begin to take steps to push through.
Pushing through resistance is actually fun, as well as motivating, because when I do, it feels like I’m making real progress toward my goals. The following are some ways you can push through resistance:
- See the big picture. Know where it is that you want your goals to take you and have a clear picture of what that looks like.
- Know why you want to achieve your goal. Are you frustrated by your current situation, or feel like you need to be doing something better suited to how you are geared? Whatever the reason, be mindful of it. Always know the why behind the goal.
- Understand the cost of not taking action. Know that nothing will change until you cause something to happen. No action = no result! Are you OK if nothing changes?
- Determine what steps you can take today. It doesn’t have to be a large step. Even a small step in the right direction is still a step in the right direction.
- Just do something! Commit to taking action every day, whether you feel like it or not.
- Be motivated by the progress. After you’ve strung a few days of successful progress together, look back to see how far you’ve come. Be motivated by the progress and commit that you will not break the chain of daily progress. You are not required to do everything in a single day, just plan on doing something every day.
It’s now time to punch resistance in the face with clear vision and by taking action on a continual daily basis. What are you waiting for? All that separates you from your goal is a thin veil of resistance. Start punching through today.