Everyone wants a “sure thing”. You know what I mean; it’s that investment or strategy that is guaranteed to provide you with a significant return on your investment of time and money. We’re not interested in wasting our resources on something that won’t yield a decent return. So where should we invest our resources that has the greatest potential for the highest return? Is there even a “sure thing” out there? If so, what and where is it? I’m glad you asked.
I’ll give you a hint. In fact, I’ll do even better. I’ll show you exactly where to find this guaranteed, sure thing investment. Ready? Here it is: Go find the closest mirror and stand facing it. You see that person looking back at you? That’s your sure thing!
We tend to think of investments as deposits of dollars we make in a bank account, a 401k, or some other retirement or savings plan. While it’s true that those are indeed important investments, have you ever thought of yourself as a worthy investment? Have you ever thought of yourself as someplace worthy of investing your time and money, with the expectation of a significant return? You should, because you ARE.
So what does investing in yourself look like? Does that mean putting an extra sum of money in your wallet or pocket every month? Not quite. Investing in ourselves involves committing our time and resources into materials, activities, experiences, and relationships that cause positive growth in our lives. This is growth that enables us to be better prepared to pursue our goals and dreams and to take advantages of opportunities that align with our goals and dreams when they arise.
Some examples of investing in yourself may include:
- Purchasing (and reading!) books in an area of interest, vocation, or career.
- Signing up for a relevant seminar or conference in an area where you are attempting to grow.
- Enrolling in a class or pursuing a degree.
- Purchasing training or coaching from a professional that will increase your skills and knowledge in order to help you go to the next level.
- Finding and fostering a mentoring relationship with someone who has done, or is currently doing, what you’d like to do now or in the future.
- Traveling to a new destination to learn about a different culture.
- Creating a growth experience that stretches your understanding, knowledge, and/or comfort zone.
This is certainly not an extensive list, and only offers a small glimpse of the possibilities for investing in one’s self. Anything you can do that requires effort, resources, or both, which increases your knowledge and understanding in your area of interest is a worthy investment in yourself.
Take advantage of the opportunity you have to invest in a sure thing. See yourself as the worthy investment that you are and cause something to happen by being committed to regularly investing in yourself. You will be delighted with the return on your investment!